German Academic Institute
Membership Management Department
Max-Joseph-Str. 9 | 69126, Heidelberg | Germany Tel: +49(6221) 3162888
Fax: +49(6221) 3162880 | Mobil: +49 (162) 7725-333
Email: |

The document below is a detailed one from Uni-assist e.V which gives a comprehensive outline of application requirements

Note: Be sure to find out directly from the universities about the documents you are required to submit.


With uni-assist, you apply via the online portal.

It’s all very simple:

  • Register in our online portal.
  • Complete the application and answer all questions carefully
  • If the application asks about your grade: Please enter your foreign marks – exactly as these appear on your certificate. uni-assist will convert them into the German marking system.
  • Send your online application to uni-assist.

Note: We also require all your application documents in paper form:

  • Print out the application
  • Sign it
  • Post the signed application together with your other documents to uni-assist


  • Document your education in detail: Start with the certificate from the last school you graduated from (which entitles you to begin university studies in the same country), and continue up to your most recent qualification.
  • Submit all certificates in their entirety: include the certificate as well as the report listing subjects and grades. You must not omit any parts of the certificate (such as a diploma supplement) or single pages.
  • If you have already passed a university entrance exam in your country of origin: please submit the relevant certificate.

Each document needs to be submitted only once, even if you wish to use it to apply to multiple universities.

Important information on legally attested copies:

  • Submit your certificates as legally attested copies in their original language, accompanied by one certified translation in German or English. We only accept copies on paper by post. No digital copies may be submitted online.
  • Copies are only accepted as legally attested when they carry an original attestation stamp.
  • Copies of attested documents are not considered attested, whether in digital formats or on paper.

You can find important information on legal attestation and certified translations here:

Legal attestation and translation »

Have you studied previously at a university outside of Germany?

We would like to calculate your grades as accurately as possible. In order to do this, we need the grading system used by your university for your course. The grading system is usually included with the document listing subjects and grades. If this is not the case on your certificates, you have two options:

  1. Send us a link to your university’s website containing information on the grading system,
  2. or send us a PDF with your University’s official grading system.

Simply upload the grading system to the uni-assist online portal.

We need an official document on your university’s grading system, so please do not send us general information on your country’s grading system (such as links to anabin or Wikipedia).

Do you have a US High School Diploma or an IB Diploma? You can find more information on US High School Diploma and IB Diploma here: International educational certificates.


Your application for a course of studies must be accompanied by proof of your language skills: Your proficiency in teaching language must be good enough to enable you to follow the lessons and allow you to actively participate in them.

The majority of study programs in Germany are taught in German. However, there are also some English-language study programs. Sometimes it is also necessary to prove German language skills for these too.

Important: You must submit officially certified copies of your language certificates – prior to the closing date for applications.

Individual universities have widely varying conditions regarding language skills. Therefore: Please find out precisely what language certificates and what level of proficiency you need for the study program of your choice.


The following language certificates will be accepted by all universities:

  • DSH
  • TestDaF
  • Certificate issued by the Goethe Institute
  • The German Language Diploma of the Conference of State Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs (“DSD der KMK”)

List of the various types of proofs of German language proficiency:

  • Language certificate/ diploma: These are certificates that confirm the level of your language skills.
  • Certificate of Attendance: This is confirmation that you attended a language course. Many universities do not accept this as proof of language skills.
  • Confirmation of course registration: This confirms that you have registered for a language course. The confirmation of course registration is not regarded as proof of language proficiency.
  • German studies and German citizenship are only deemed by a few universities as proof of language proficiency. Generally, you will have to submit additional proof of language proficiency.

The TestDaF certificate can be verified online by uni-assist.

Your test results are published online, but you will not receive your TestDaF certificate in good time before the closing date for applications? In this case, please submit your confirmation of registration for the examination before the closing date for applications.

The confirmation of registration must state the date of the examination and your registration number. An officially certified copy is not required – a simple copy will be sufficient.


List of the various types of proofs of English language proficiency:

  • IELTS: You must achieve a certain score in the IELTS. uni-assist can verify the IELTS results online. Therefore, you can provide us with a non-certified certificate. Or inform us of your IELTS Test Report Number.
    Note: The university’s closing date for applications also applies to this information!
  • TOEFL: There are three different versions of the TOEFL. The universities set out the required minimum points score for each version. ETS can send your certificate directly to us. Our Institution Code is 2727.
  • Completion of an English-language course of studies, or a school-leaving certificate: Some universities will accept these are proof of your language skills. Important: Your course certificate must state that the teaching language was English. Or you can submit an additional confirmation from your home university.

Other languages

Additional skill levels may be necessary for certain subjects (e.g. study programs with an international focus).

It is advisable to always send us an officially certified copy of your secondary certificate, together with a certified translation. This means that you have already provided the proof necessary for numerous cases.


There are many more documents that universities might ask their study applicants for. The ones that need to be submitted in individual cases depend entirely on the university and course of study. Please make sure you contact the university directly for information on everything you need to submit. If there is anything you do not understand or if you are not sure if/how you are to fulfill a particular requirement, please make sure you ask the university’s student advisory service for a detailed explanation so that in the end you do everything correctly and provide a complete set of documents.

List of the most important types of application documents:


Applications almost always contain questions about your secondary and third-level education. It is usually enough to provide the required information here.

Some universities demand a seamless – update to the day the application is filed.

Tips for drafting a seamless CV:

  • List what you have done to date – starting with your school-leaving qualification.
  • Time gaps are not permitted. If you were not matriculated on a course or were not in employment for a period of time, write “no particular activities/not in studies”, for example.

Cover letter
Use the cover letter to explain why you are applying for a particular university and a particular study program. And why you are particularly suited for it. A cover letter should generally be about two pages in length. The cover letter will be forwarded to your preferred university.

Important: Please state the name of your preferred university clearly visible (in bold) at the top of the cover letter.

Letter of recommendation
Universities sometimes demand letters of recommendation from your former professors and lecturers

Copy of passport
You are advised to always provide a copy of your passport – only the page containing your photo and personal details. It is not necessary to have the copy certified. You can also upload the passport copy to your online account.

This does not necessarily need to be a passport photo. It is also sufficient to provide a portrait photo (as small as possible) of yourself. A single photo is enough, and it need not be the original photo. You can upload it to your online account.

Certification of name change

If you have changed your name – through marriage for example: Enclose a certificate detailing your name change with your application. This declares why the name on your certificates is different.

Matriculation certificate/ex-matriculation certificate
If you have already studied in Germany, or are registered at another German university, please submit a

  • matriculation certificate
  • or an ex-matriculation certificate Important: You may be required to submit an ex-matriculation certificate, even if you have already completed your studies.

Internship/employment experience
An internship or employment reference proves that you have practical experience in your subject area.

Please note the university’s guidelines concerning the contents and duration of the internship. Internship and employment references generally need not be certified. However, they should be submitted in a certified translated form, if they were not issued in German or English. Please note our instructions concerning certified translations.

Proof that suitability and/ or entrance exam has been passed
You will frequently be asked to demonstrate your aptitude, particularly for arts-related study programs. This will generally be performed by way of an exam, which you will sit prior to your application to the university. You can make an application once the exam has been successfully passed.

TestAS certificate
The TestAS is a standardized test of academic aptitude for international university applicants. You can sit the test in several disciplines. It is mandatory for some study programs. You can forward your TestAS result to us online.

GMAT/ GRE test certificates
These are special tests, which are becoming increasingly important particularly in business-related subjects.

Ask the university if you are required to submit a printed portfolio or a CD. Or if you may upload your drafts/designs in file format to your online account: This will make them immediately visible to the universities. And you will save on the costs of printing and posting your portfolio. In the majority of cases, it will be necessary to submit your portfolio and folder of drafts/designs directly to the university.

Medical certificate
Sometimes you are required to prove that you have the physical ability to undertake your chosen studies. This is particularly important for sports medicine subjects. Ask the university about which medical certificates are needed, and which physicians are permitted to issue the required medical certificate.