German Academic Institute
Membership Management Department
Max-Joseph-Str. 9 | 69126, Heidelberg | Germany Tel: +49(6221) 3162888
Fax: +49(6221) 3162880 | Mobil: +49 (162) 7725-333
Email: |


The uni-assist universities have adopted common standards concerning official certifications and certified translations. Read on to find out what you need to know.


  1. Official certifications must always contain an original official stamp and an original signature of the issuing authority. A copy or scan of your officially certified documentation will not be sufficient. A copy can only ever be officially certified if it bears the original certifying stamp and is submitted to uni-assist in paper form.
  2. The official stamp may be round or oval in shape and will contain a coat-of-arms. It is not sufficient if certifications bear only a stamp containing only words.
  3. With document copies comprising multiple pages, it must be apparent that each page originates from the same official certification. The official stamp must be visible on each page: The pages must be arranged in such a way that each page is embossed with part of the official stamp. It is sufficient if the endorsement is set out and undersigned on one page only.
  4. Exception: With a certification performed by a German notary (with cord and seal imprint), it is sufficient for the certification declaration to be set out on one page only.

1.1) Outside Germany, the following institutions may certify copies of your documents:

  1. schools and universities issuing the documents,
  2. the Ministry of Education of your home country,
  3. German embassies,
  4. the cultural department of the embassy of the country from where the certificate originates,
  5. the authorities and notaries authorized to perform official certifications in your home country.

1.2) In Germany, every public department bearing an official stamp, is authorized to issue official certifications.  These include:

  1. municipal departments,
  2. rectories,
  3. districts and administrative authorities – such as local mayoral offices and local representatives, city administrations, public offices, town halls, and district administrations,
  4. courts and notaries.

Additional information: Public departments in Germany are permitted to certify foreign language documents, but they are not obliged to. If you are unable to find a public department in Germany to certify your documents, you should contact the embassy of your country of origin.


We will accept translations of certificates issued by the following:

  1. sworn translators
  2. if the issuing school or university has a department responsible for this task.
  3. outside of Germany, institutions may only assume the translation of certificates, if these are entitled to prepare sworn or court-approved translations.
  4. We are unable to accept translations from standard translation agencies with the administration of an oath (certification).


  1. You must also arrange the certification of copies of translations.
  2. Exception: You do not need an additional certification if the translation bears the original stamp of the translator.
  3. However, translators may not certify any documents in the original language – rather only the translations they have personally produced.


Submit your certificates in their original language – together with a German or English translation.
In your country of origin, alongside the original language, were your certificates also officially issued in German or English? In this case, we do not require a translation. (Exceptions, see certain countries)

Certificates in French must be translated into German or English.